As the founding law firm for ResMed and a long term advisor to Fresenius Medical Care and Mater Hospitals, DibbsBarker is one of the leading law firms in the life sciences & healthcare markets.
We are dedicated to the success of our many iconic Australian and international healthcare, medical and life sciences technology clients. We work hard to understand their unique situations and challenges as well as the dynamics of the markets in which they operate. This includes:
- developing a robust intellectual property strategy
- maintaining adequate funding over long product development timelines
- deciding the best time to licence products in development
- navigating complex regulatory frameworks
- running complex businesses as efficiently as possible.
Our understanding of the industry is enhanced by the scientific qualifications and health administration experience of various members of our team. This means we can offer our clients more than just an understanding of the law and relevant regulatory regimes and policy frameworks - we can also provide genuine commercial insight on their business, their intellectual property and their products or services.
How we can help
Drawing on our industry experience, we assist clients in:
- challenging regulators’ decisions
- commercialisation and protection of intellectual property
- compliance and contracts related to the conduct of clinical trials
- employee and industrial relations matters
- information technology
- international licensing
- IPOs and other forms of capital raising
- mergers & acquisitions
- outsourcing and supply chain issues
- privacy and consent issues
- probity and contract issues in dealing with government
- product liability and recalls
- research and development
- spin-outs from research organisations
- strategic analysis and conduct of patent litigation.
We also regularly handle the international needs of our clients, assisting in two-way flows between Australia and the international commercial markets. We advise multinational clients on their operations in Australia and we work with Australian clients seeking to operate in Asian, American and European markets.
DibbsBarker is a member of AusBiotech, Australia’s biotechnology industry association. Lis Boyce, partner and leader of the firm’s Life Sciences & Healthcare industry team, chairs the NSW Committee of AusMedtech, the division of AusBiotech focused on medical technology industry.
DibbsBarker is also a member of the Generic Medicines Industry Association.